JTG: The day before the FIRST RACE DAY…. 2015

Miles 142

I am freezing.  My coffee is good.  I am wearing long sleeves and long pants, but the icy wind of my afternoon run has settled into my bones.  Freezing.  I think it's 10 degrees the weather report shows "feels like 0".  My time absolutely sucked.  It was painful to breathe almost like my lungs were bleeding.  And I was overwhelmingly aware of the weight of 10 pds of extra clothing…. each blast of wind in my face
made me question my sanity….I never stopped…. at one point I slowed, my wimpy winter treadmill lungs not accustom to breathing in"feels like 0"….  it was in one word…. amazing.

Ok well the first mile was kind of hell.  I wasn't sure if my face was getting frostbit if my fingers would ever move again or if I could keep lifting my legs in the cold wind and extra weight.  My lungs struggled to take in air….. I didn't know if I felt fire or ice or when it would end.  My whole body hurt, not in a hard to run way, in a fiery freezing icy frantic WTF are you doing to me and why kind of way. And then about midway through my second mile…. everything inside me wanting to quit… I found that rhythm…. that I can keep going, have my pace, can do this….  perfect run continuum……

Tomorrow is my season opener.  It is also, from what I can goolge estimate, the fastest race in indy.  I guess walkers and joggers just don't come out in february "feels like 0" weather…. Last year the top 25% of the race were in the 7s…. I think a 10 is about as slow as they go…. so you know one of those really big confidence boosting races for me! I wonder what "feels like 0" at 1 in the afternoon will be tomorrow at 8 in the morning.

Ironically I am not freaking out about time tomorrow….. I am just hoping I make it to that freezing start line…. I am actually worried I might chicken out…. my first ever DNF…… baby steps…. juts let me get there.  Then when I get there… just let me move my body in some way that resembles running and please please PLEASE don't let me come in last.  Oh yeah and make it fun… let the coffee be good…. nice people…. injury free, happy, good time….maybe an oreo cookie after the race or pizza or ice cream… or OH how about a bacon cheese burger!!! Is that too much to ask for finish line refreshments after a 5k? Banana it is!

I am ok with not getting a medal….. UGH TOTAL SADNESS.  That is the thing about a 5k… you have to work for that medal… maybe next year….. Damn… really…..no medal…. well unless my 9 magically changes to a 6 by tomorrow at 8am…. it is going to me and my banana…. LOL and I am probably going to eat the banana.  It will feel like 0 outside…I'll feel like 0 inside….. and I won't even have my banana to show for it.
"how was your race on sat..???"
"Oh it was great!  Thanks!"
"Did you win anything…."

" Well, I got a banana, but I ate it :))
"Um…. yeah you didn't really run that race did you…. you were a DNF!!!!"
" No really I did….. I had the banana but…… :( …..)

I will be with the crazy amazing elite running group I was lucky enough to join…. not that they are going to want to claim me and my banana…. well maybe the banana…… HEY hands off my banana I earned that fair and square…. go eat your own banana with your shiny medal and let me and my banana be!  But no really…. I am still running with these ……athletes….. and tomorrow I am one of them….. And it is my opener….. the start of the season…. it is not my big race and it is not something I have worked towards…. it's a fun learn something and be stronger because of it kind of race.  And I am looking forward to the adventure.  And to meeting the amazing athletes in my running group.  And to learn from them.   And I am also looking forward to that banana…. of course!

Butter Pecan Protein Shake
WATER WATER REHYDRATE

Cashew Chicken, rice……. pre race food…. ALWAYS

WORK OUT 
Outside 5k run
rest rest rest and a good nights sleep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I just hit.... pause

One Year Epilogue

Sometimes the best plan... is...no plan