#Day 1…..Journey to Greatness: Friday I’m in love…… with running



1/9/2015……..20 miles


Favorite post run smoothie:
Banana
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
½ lime
¼ cup frozen cherries
¼ cup coconut flakes
handful of almonds

Favorite lift: Goblet Squats(dumbbell front full squat, elbows to knee)  3sets/15 reps 45pds



 I am loving running to this song lately: “Hope that you fall in love and it hurts so bad. The only way you can know you gave it all you have. And I hope that you don’t suffer but take the pain…..”   It makes me want to  encourage everyone to fall in love.  With SOMETHING.  Not SOMEONE.  Find something that ignites your passion, that drives you, motivates you.  Something you have to work for, work really hard for….struggle….know defeat…..try harder….stay dedicated…..get better….know victory.  A love that takes you, breaks you, and eventually, makes you.   For me, that is running. 

I ran my first big race in my 20s.  I was about 23 when I finally took up running with some form of disciple.  I wanted to run a marathon. Just out of nowhere.  One day I said…. Oh I think I will run a marathon…. And so it began…… I started with 1 mile…..Oh that first mile….like back in 5th grade……

1 mile on a treadmill.  And increased it everyday.  I knew I enjoyed running, knew I could be semi fast, but I did not know how to train or how to get better.  So at first I merely focused on distance.  When I started this, at 23, I was running a 5.5 on the treadmill.  I stayed on the treadmill for a long time.  Building up to 3,4,5 even 10 miles.  I nick named Friday 5 mile Friday….. Then I began to my vary my run work outs….. doing steady state and interval running…. I began to read and learn about……. Running.

I was logging about 30 miles a week.  One day, a coworker asked me to run after work.  I started running outside, after work, along the Ohio River, with my coworkers….all male…. And I found no difficulty in keeping up.  And then, I signed up for a 5k.  And 1 became more, became a half, became a love of running, racing, training….. all of it.  I was in my 20s and it came easy.  I wasn’t worried about time…. I was just doing it.  And I was doing it well. I did that for about 4 years. I would never run that marathon in my 20s.  Instead I would be blessed with 3 beautiful children, rather quickly…. And motherhood and injuries would take me off track for about 6 years.  

In my 30s, it was a little harder….. starting up….. remembering where I was in my 20s…… being quickly reminded that I am not in my 20s……. I went through a phase of not caring about time….. "just run…..get back on my marathon track…."

I wasn’t paying attention to anything except logging the miles.  There were times when I would stay out all night, drinking, partying, not eating……sleep for about 3 hours and run 15 miles.  I was invincible….I could do anything. Above all I could run.  Right…….wrong.

Which brings me to this….. It is Friday night.  Almost everyone I know is out.  But I am just fine right here…..  I have a new toy I am dying to play with in my basement…… I am making some healthy veggie based from scratch food….. logging miles…… 5 mile Friday….. and looking forward to a good night sleep…… and goals goals goals….. get stronger, get faster, get better. WIN. Please. Someday, WIN.   
 
Because I am completely in love with running. I want to do it as often as I can, get better, be great, understand blissful perfection when I run that race and say….. it was worth every second, every sacrifice, every ounce of pain….. for this…… In so many ways it defines who I am, it is a driving force in my life….. and it is so powerful to have that something! 

Everyone should have that in their life……something you love so much….. if you are reading this….I challenge you to find that something for yourself….. find that power…..that force…..that love…..and live it to the best of your ability! Find something that in the end makes you say “I owned every second that this world could give, saw so many places the things that I did, with every broken bone, I swear….I lived!” 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I just hit.... pause

One Year Epilogue

Sometimes the best plan... is...no plan