Journey to greatness: The Road Runner never looked back.

MILES 39
FRIDAY.
When my youngest daughter is running with me…. I tell her…. look straight ahead…. don't ever look back, not for a second…. because that  one second could be all it takes for your opponent to catch up or pass you.  Look straight ahead… don't think about what is behind you… only focus on conquering what is in front of you…. what is behind you  doesn't matter….. even if they are right on your heels.  You see, it never mattered how close they were to passing you…only that they never did…..
Everything on my body hurts and I am so tired.  My calves are sore, my hamstrings are screaming, my abs are like OMG don't laugh or bend or move…. even my tiny triceps are like don't expect us to help you lift a finger today.  AHHH Friday!  Yep.  I have given my body a good beat down this week!

On another note I AM SO HUNGRY.  I rarely have the opportunity to even sit down…. so when I do my body wants to eat…. everything.  I want sushi so bad right now…. sadly there is none in my fridge…. salad it is!!!!

This weekend is an 8 mile run.  No stopping no excuses…. a nice easy pace long run.  Also I am going to master this cauliflower pizza crust that is suppose to be healthy and easy….

Registered for Geist today……..worked on the set for the school play…. the one I am designing…. and
very excited about my youngest daughter's gymnastics meet tonight!  She works SO hard.  And she is so good at winning!

I was the reader in her class today…. all of her class mates wanted to know about my running….. "How many marathons"…. 6 full and more halves than I remember! lol  Have you ever WON..??? UGH…. there is is….. DARN IT.  My daughter, sitting on my lap, answers promptly…"Yes, she has!"  I smile and say…. I have never won, but in my last race I was 3rd place in my age division and I was awarded a special 3rd place medal….. I didn't add the 1st place trophy I had from 2001….. that seems like a different lifetime ago…. who was that person…. honestly I don't even know what my time was…. I didn't even care… or the 3rd place trophy  for my 3 trail run series….. come to think of it… I had forgotten about that one….. I guess I'm not a total loser…. even at 8 minutes a mile….. that thought is kind of….. uplifting. This second grade class somehow up lifted my spirits and it was like… I was a runner again…. and I was proud of my running…..HOLD THAT THOUGHT! Remember that feeling…. even if you are not first… you can still run 26.2 miles…. that is special…..that is something not everyone does…. for what ever reason…. that is something I DO.  That is an ability I have.  It is all mine.  And it is pretty darn cool.  HOLD THAT THOUGHT.

SATURDAY.  My daughter won first place last night and it is back to practice at 10am!  I am exhausted after a full night and day of games and practices with my children.  There is also a new thought/idea plaguing my mind.  It is lonely at the top…… It is like you fight so hard to get there….. you fight even harder to stay there….. and people don't like you there….. some can be down right nasty…. So you work your A$$ off to get good….. and you are so happy….. and BAM.  Haters hating….. WTF is that…. a competitive mind is more than just a mind set on the field and during training….. it is a solid mental toughness that says I will be the best and nothing else will get in my way.  Not my doubts and negativity and not your doubts and negativity.  After all there is always some one wanting to take your place…. no matter where you are in the race….. some one wants that spot…. and OMG they are like right there on your heels….. BACK THAT THING UP!  No, they won't…… not even for a second….. it is about holding your place….. it is about knowing how to fight for it.  Because it is all you want at that moment and every moment…. and when you want it that bad…. you are willing to do almost anything…. and getting out of your comfort some is just the beginning…. it is about pushing so far past your threshold  that you evolve and your comfort zone of the past…..well that belongs to some one else….

I made my 8 mile run…. outside most of the time until I lost the light and had to finish on my treadmill…. it felt really good…… about an 8:45 overall average.  Considering that the wind made me feel like I was running through peanut butter(MMMMMM peanut butter!!!) and there was ice and snow mounds in every direction!  Thankfully my trail running pays off in these conditions!  Quick on your feet thinking about how to overcome the hurdle in front of you as you are coming upon it and careful execution of the maneuver while not stepping off your pace or landing in an awkward position….

Trail running is great for improving quick thinking while running! Most long running is great because I can zone out…. coast to my music.  NOT trail running.  Your eyes are on course at every second…. processing….. evaluations….. you are doing crazy hurdle jumps and you are like some savage running Tarzan super hero in the wild!  It is hard… it adds about a minute a mile onto your time…. but it is beautiful and enjoyable and greatly improves your running skills in ways you never imagined.  Additionally I will add here that people who have knee problems tend to find trail running easy on the knees……. softer landings, less shock absorption on the knee joint….. As a street runner….. sometimes trail running can stress my ankles….. but I am not a seasoned trail runner…. my muscle fibers are different….. I am a road runner…… well…. not quite as fast as the road runner…. does anyone remember that guy..bird..?!  Before it was internet service it was a cartoon!  WOW that guy really came up in the world….. that funny birdlike thing with crazy legs has moved up to the lightning speed of broad band internet service….how fast is he now..I don't even see him running he is so fast!??? I mean it took years to get that fast I am sure…. but he started fast….. I don't remember a road runner the early years where he was struggling to make time…… he just started fast right out of the gate…... He was always FAST! Maybe it was because the Coyote was always chasing him….. right on his heels….. trying to catch up. Road Runner never looked back.  I wonder what ever happened to Coyote!?

SUNDAY……. One word.  REST.

FRI 
BOOTCAMP
SAT
8 MI
SUN
NOT A DARN THING!

MY FAVE Tortilla Soup
Yellow/Red/Orange peppers.  One of each chopped up
1 cup of tiny sweet peppers
1 bag organic white corn
1 Onion cut up
1-2 cans black beans depending on how much you like them :)
1.5-2  pds of chicken pre cooked till not raw
6 cups of chicken broth
4-6 more cups of water….. until it looks soupy! But not too much!
1 can enchilada sauce
simmer all in crock pot for 4(high)-6(low) hours then remove whole chicken breast and shred the chicken into small pieces.  Add back into soup and let cook until all veggies are completely tended.

I like to let my soups sit over night…so I will pull the pull part out of my crock pot and refrigerate. I will also separate the soup and freeze half.   Then I next morning I will take out and place back in crock on low until dinner.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I just hit.... pause

One Year Epilogue

Sometimes the best plan... is...no plan