JTG: Tick Tock The Race Day Clock!
MILES 3348:05, 8:31, 8:16, 8:07, 8:16, 8:16, 8:20, 8:20, 8:23, 8:15. Those are my split times from this weekend's 10 miler. The result of which I feel really good about, now. I have no pain. But during my run that story was completely different. NO WAY I will make it.
I am going to start training every mile at an 8:20. From this point out I am not dropping below that number unless I am doing a focused distance don't stop for anything recovery run. If that number becomes hard to maintain, I will stop, reset my mind and continue on at that pace. I have to try to make it.
2 years ago in May, as I sat in the VIP runner's tent in Geist ( Oh that sounded cool…. VIP tent…. but really it's just something you get if you run 2 minis in the month of may…but lets go with that….VIP thing) crushed from missing my time goal by 30 seconds…. devastated because it had been such a hard run…. because I stopped in a dead panic at the end…. on the bridge….watching my time goals fly by….. well, I sat there and chatted with another runner….. 2nd year in a row this race beat me…. I said…. he said….. "do you train all of your miles to meet that time?" and I said "No"…. he said "train every mile under 9 minutes and you will meet your goals." I can't tell you how many times since then I've wished to run into him again and thank him… for changing the way I run and in a way…changing my life. Because of that advice…. I did the impossible…. accomplished what I had been trying to do for 2 years…. and then…. got even better. Can I make it?

But something happens when I run at the 8-8:20 mark…. it's like my head explodes or something…. way past I can't….way beyond OMG please stop it is like a mental explosion that literally hurts my mind. It is so hard to push past that. Leg check…..gut check…..lung check….. blue skies…. my amazing kids…. any thing… think anything to get my mind off of the explosion…. I won't make it.
And a few times I did struggle with the breath… like it was hard to breath…to pull it in fully…. this is like a trick…. a running mirage…. really…. you think you can't breath and you start pulling deeper and it doesn't fill and your mind panics OMG we can't breath…. and your heart starts to race…. it's hard to overcome. There was one point where I stopped… hands on my upper legs, bending over, struggling, coughing, dripping with sweat, begging myself to just stop. But, yeah, the e-mail….. I just didn't have to in me to stop today. So I didn't and I am really really happy about that. Let the real training begin. The training in which I learn about who I really am. And if I will make it. So, at this point in the game…. 1 week out…. my diet changes too. I firmly believe input equals output. So it is clean eating…. drinking water… not a spot of alcohol, no greasy foods, little to no dairy….. OH that last one is hard! But my body doesn't do will with dairy when I am racing. Mean, clean, and lean. Sleep is also a high priority. Bye bye laundry, dishes and vacuum…. it's race time. I am sleeping. And praying I make it.
Things that I always remember about running…. training, hydration, sleep, nutrition. In that order. Your food and sleep before a race is critical…. 2 days before your race is the most important meal and nights rest…. it is what your body will be burning through that morning of the race…. the day before it is important to consume some form of simple and complex carbs… In these two days, you are trying to build 2 things…. Your glucose and your glycogen …. your immediate and future energy. Once your body runs through it's glucose…..it utilizes the glycogen…… unused glucose is stored in your muscle as glycogen…. that is our back up fuel when our glucose levels are depleted. These 2 energy sources are VERY important for the distance runner. You need energy to run… the more you have…. the better you will run. The 48 hours before race day is not a time to worry about unused glucose and what happens to the glycogen if it isn't utilized….. NO. You need ample glucose and glycogen storage for your race. This is why runners NEED carbs in some form. End of story. Please let me make it. I do not like pasta or bread…. i am also not a big fan of how whole grains effect me during race day…. I eat a lot of white rice and chicken and veggies before my races…. in steady increments through out the day. This works well for my body. But everyone is different. MOST runners I talk to…. say…. when they run for time….. dairy and whole grains can be unsettling….. but again…. it is SO person specific. Just remember your body will react different to 8 min miles that 9:30 min miles…..I really hope I make it.
Post race.. your nutrition and sleep is imperative. This is when your body heals…. recovers…. and readies itself for the next race… THIS is how you get stronger. Yes it is great to go out boozing with buddies to celebrate victories…. but if at all possible.. do that the NEXT day. Race day…. post race… eat things like fruits and veggies and meats and at last… dairy…… vitamins, protein, calcium…. be good to your body. Eat what you are craving and rest and SLEEP. What if I don't make it.
After every race my body shuts down after my shower and needs to nap. It is the only time IN MY LIFE I have ever wanted to nap. It is more than that though. I NEED to sleep. It is bizzaro. But I listen…. The other thing I have found is, while water is great…. gatorade is greater! Gatorade, nap, salad with grilled chicken, yogurt, strawberries, peaches, pears and apple and I am GOOD GOOD GOOD! Sometimes…. I keep a sandwich by my bed…. not going to lie…. I tend to wake up starving and sore! OMG I have to make it. Oh yes and don't forget bananas… pre race…. Potassium prevents cramping. Too much water depletes potassium….. Please let me make it.
GEEZ how do I know all of this. Because this is what I do…. this is ALL I do…. to make it.
It's late….. I have some sleep to do and some strength to build. Because I just HAVE TO MAKE IT.

Comments
Post a Comment